90 days have past, and Software Recommendations is proving very useful (at least to me), but what do our statistics say? Statistics are watched closely by our overlords, so even though it is only numbers, we need to watch them and try to improve:
- Questions: We can easily excel on this if we advertise the website more. At first we were fearing huge crowds, but now I believe the site is ready to grow and double every month.
- Answered: Recommendations is the first QA site where this metric is not really relevant. Someone wants an app that sounds useful but does not exist yet? The question will just stay unanswered and gather attention/favorites until someone creates the app, I don't see a problem with that. I hope this red number won't get us axed though. If we are green for everything else that should be OK?
- Users: We are a solid core of avid users, but we could use more people. Please spend more time upvoting good questions and good answers.
- Answer ratio: We need more answers indeed. Sometimes there is a single (accepted) solution even though I am pretty sure there are alternatives.
- Visits: We need to make Software Recommendations the reference for software solutions. When on Twitter/anywhere you speak about how GPS helps bicycle tourism, don't link to a particular app, just link to the relevant question here, in a few years you will be glad that the link is still useful thanks to up-to-date answers. By asking questions soon enough after real-world events (for instance "Online RSS reader?" just after Google Reader was discontinued) and sharing them, sooner or later we will probably get lucky and become the top Google answer (for instance for "Google Reader replacement"), resulting in huge traffic.
How to improve further?
125 days update: Frank, Izzy, Nick, Journeyman and myself got over 3000, so we have another green :-) Visits/day have increased, but questions/day have decreased: We need to advertise more, including to question askers.
139 days update: We got our first full green metric, for community size :-) Questions and visits will also probably get green within 3 months. The last two metrics (answered and answer ratio) are not expected to evolve much as they are a characteristic of Software Recommendations (High-requirements questions that very few people can answer is what we are good at).