The gratis tag has a tagline:
The 'gratis' tag is to be used when you are looking for a recommendation for free (as in no-cost) software.
When should this tag (not) be used?
- When asking for free software?
- When putting it as a bonus objective / nice to have?
- When it is merely implicit that it would be preferred (e.g. "I'm a student who needs...")?
- When budget is not mentioned at all (but hey: everyone prefers free over a cost, yeah?)?
- When software is requested "no matter the cost"?
Okay, cases 1 and 5 are no-brainers. The others are less clear to me, though I'd be worried about having the gratis tag on 50+% of the questions here if case 2, 3, and 4 would also warrant this tag.
Bottom line: when to use this tag, and who has a final call (community or OP)?