Due to the unique nature of Software Recommendations in comparison to the rest of the Stack Exchange network, I feel some discussion needs to go into the creation of close reasons specific to this site.
What is the point of this post?
The issues I want to tackle with this discussion are as follows:
- Closure reasons should not be intimidating to new users
- People see "on hold" and this scares them, we want our on hold reasons to help them progress their question to a point where it meets our quality requirements
- We want the community consensuses we reach on meta during this beta phase (and in future) to be readily available so people can see why we reached that decision
What makes a good close reason?
- Clear and concise text that advises the asker what to do next
- Links to meta posts containing guidelines on quality and acceptable subjects
- Links to meta discussions detailing why we reached those particular consensuses
How should this post be used?
The format I would suggest this discussion takes place in is as follows;
- One close reason per answer
- Votes against the close reason indicate the popularity of that suggestion with the community
- Suggestions and discussions per close reason occurs in the comments below that close reason
- Improvements should be made to existing close reason suggestions rather than submitting multiple similar close reasons